These cakes are a delight to the tastebuds. With the mix of soft, moist sponge and crumbly, sweet cookie, the textures were made to go together.
The coffee running through the cake mixture means that the cupcakes themselves aren't overly sweet and each one is the perfect size well for kids, I think I need an extra or two myself.
Ingredients - makes 12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes * 110g self raising flour
* 55g caster sugar
* 55g soft brown sugar
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 110g soften butter
* 2 eggs
* 3 tbsp instant coffee
For the icing * 125g softened butter
* 225g icing sugar
* 1 tbsp instant coffee
* chocolate sprinkles for decoration
* Preheat your oven to 180ºc and fill a bun tin with 12 cake cases.
* Place an oreo cookie into each cake casing.
* In a large bowl cream together the sugars and the butter.
* Sieve in the flour and the baking powder and carry on mixing.
* Crack in the two eggs and 2 tbsp of the instant coffee and continue to stir until all ingredients are combined.
* Using a teaspoon carefully fill each cake case with the cake batter, making sure to fill each one evenly.
* Pop in the oven to bake for around 15 minutes or until golden brown.
* Leave on a rack to cool.
* Whilst the cupcakes cool you can whip up your icing. Simply mix together the butter and the icing sugar and finally stir in the instant coffee.
* I used a knife to spread the icing over each cupcake and then decorated with chocolate sprinkles.
* Place in the fridge for around half an hour to let the icing set.