Over the past 9 months my love for exercising has really grown. The trouble is I need to fuel my body with plenty of protein so that my muscles have a chance to recover before I delve into my next workout. Fitting protein into my meals has been quite easy but snack wise was more difficult. I've leaned towards eating things like quest bars but these get quite costly so I have been trying to find ideas for things I can make myself. Protein balls are just that, small balls packed full of protein and I've finally put together a recipe that is easy to make and low in cost too.
Only three ingredients are needed for the initial recipe and after that the choice is yours. Taking less than 10 minutes to prepare, they can be eaten straight away or popped in the fridge for a time of your choosing.
* 2/3 cup protein powder (I opted for vanilla but chocolate is a good option too)
* 1/2 cup peanut butter (any nut butter will work)
* 3 tbsp maple syrup (or honey)
You may need a splash or two of milk if your mixture is a little dry, almond or coconut milk are both great for this.
* Simply mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Adding a little milk if necessary.
* Roll the mixture into 12 balls.
* Now you can eat them just like this or roll the balls in any kind of dried fruit, seeds or nuts to add in some extra flavour.
I used a mix of raisins, cacao powder, sunflower seeds, flaked almonds, matcha powder and glacier cherries for the batch I made for this post but there are so many different flavour combinations to try.